No products in the cart.
Persian Handmade carpets and their properties
Persian handmade carpets have many designs and patterns. They are divided into many types. The main design used in handmade carpet is bergamot, which is adopted from Achaemenid empire art. Carpet threads are obtained by spinning. With respect to size, Persian handmade carpets are divided into four types: small, medium, large and very large.
With respect to color, Persian handmade carpets are divided into colored carpet and self-colored carpet. In self-colored carpet, carpet fibers are not dyed. However, in colored carpets, colorful raw silk (Khameh) are used. Colors used in self-colored carpets are chemical, mineral and herbal.
Properties of a good handmade carpet
- A good handmade carpet is flexible. If carpet’s lint is flexible enough, carpet is considered as a good handmade carpet.
- If color of carpet’s edges are different from color of outer layer of carpet, it indicates that only outer surface of carpet is colored.
- A good handmade carpet has symmetry. When you buy a handmade carpet, its designs and patterns should have symmetry.
- It is interesting to know that handmade carpet is cold in summer and warm in winter.
- Threads used in handmade carpet, are natural. Artificial threads is never used in handmade carpet.
- Durability of handmade carpets is more than machine made carpets. Handmade carpets are highly washable.
- Because wool, silk and cotton are used in producing handmade carpets, they are soft and fine.